Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hello and welcome to Tamara's Designs. Let me give you a short story on how this began. I am a wife, and mom to three wonderful kids, one still at home, and grandma to two. In September 2012 the doctors diagnosed me with Graves Disease (unfortunately mine is hyperactive; which causes my heart rate to be tachycardia 'beats way to fast'.) I was put on medicine to start getting my thyroid hormone levels low enough to safely have surgery. Due to the seriousness of the situation I had to take a medical leave from school, at the same time I was giving other restrictions, no work, along with no house work (might as well have been put on bed rest). Luckily the doctor didn't take away driving or my quilting; but I found sewing and going to the ironing board was a bit too much activity. Towards the middle of October I realized that the only way there was going to be Christmas in my house was if it was homemade. And decided to create earrings, bracelets, and necklaces for the ladies in the family. This activity did not raise my heart rate and actually was stress free; all of the sudden being trapped at home (unable to fulfill normal daily motherly roles) had a bright spot in it. I realized that maybe this might be a way to help my family financially; even if it was just a little bit. So I started making little charms that could be attached to rotary cutters, scissors, pull straps on purses, wallets, or even key chains; the list is limitless. The response from my local quilt guild and other recipients of my pieces was encouraging. So anyway one thing seems to be leading to a bigger decision in life. My husband finally was able to get insurance through work, but wouldn't you know they will not cover anything dealing with my thyroid, they determined it as preexisting. So while awaiting a very expensive surgery I'll make pieces to sell and post them here as a way to maybe pay some of the mounting doctor bills, along with normal monthly bills. The dream is that my pieces are unique enough and as things grow that eventually I'll have my own website and figure out how to take better pictures. Sorry I guess this type of story can't be made very short.